However, companies throughout the industry have been making strides toward greener practices and we have joined in. Currently, our Naugatuck facility:
- Uses low water-based fluids for auto painting
- Is fully outfitted for solar energy
- Uses a waste oil burner to dispose of and reuse waste oil, which reduces the amount of hazardous waste released into the environment.
How do these practices help the environment?
Eco-Friendly Auto Painting
Until recently, auto body shops used solvent-based paints and coatings that contained Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). If xylene, toluene or methyl ethyl ketoneare is released into the environment, these VOCs can contaminate our water and air supplies. Known to evaporate quickly, these substances are present in paints, primers, sealants, compounds, some waxes and refinishing solutions.
No one should breathe these compounds in, so workers would wear masks while working on vehicles with them. Exposure may lead to headaches, nausea, fatigue and dizziness. As with other aerosol products, they gradually but permanently damage the ozone layer.
For everyone’s safety and less of an environmental impact, shops like DaSilva’s Auto have been switching to waterborne paint systems and HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) spray guns. Not only are they lower in VOCs, but they also:
- Offer the same bright and vibrant paint job
- Continue to meet OEM standards
- Offer a tough finish that holds well and protects your car
- Improve air quality in the auto body shop
- Reduce a shop’s hazardous waste amounts
- Reduce long-term costs with no hardeners or additives
As more businesses make an effort to reduce their carbon footprint, solar technology has become essential. Renewable energy offers a number of benefits:
- It supplies an off-the-grid energy source. In some cases, a business gets all of its power from solar energy.
- It helps a business not only reduce its carbon footprint but cuts down on day-to-day energy costs long term.
- Using an alternative power source reduces reliance on environment-polluting fossil fuels, including coal, oil and natural gas.
Interested in learning more about our eco-friendly initiatives? Contact us today!